A blog chronicling skin care, DIY beauty products, wishes and daydreams, life transitions, and other random stuff...

Saturday, October 3, 2009

I Start Esthetician School on Wednesday!

After about two years of pondering, researching, reconsidering, interviewing, visiting, and worrying, I finally sealed the deal yesterday.  With the generous trust and financial support of my boyfriend, I handed over a check for $8,238.75 to Zenzi's Cosmetology Training Center for Hair, Skin and Nails.


I finally decided on this school for a few reasons:  It's the least expensive of the "good" schools; the schedule is more flexible and fits with my still-full-time day job; it's in a nice neighborhood (Hayes Valley in SF) where I hope to meet a good range of clients; Zenzi seems to be a super-kind, motherly type who has been very encouraging (well, yeah, it's still a business);  I know a couple of people who are either currently attending, or who have graduated from Zenzi's, and they seem satisfied with their education.  Not jumping up and down full of praise, but I haven't encountered that type of alumni reaction for any of the schools.


My worries: The schedule might make me crazy, as I'll be on-the-clock for 55 hours a week;  I will surely be older than every other student;  I am sometimes fiercely independent and the mothering-type might drive me nuts at times;  I don't do Saturday mornings;  my hands shake when I try to put eyeliner on other people;  I am going to have to wax bikini lines;  I have back problems;  I'm often very tired after work;  after I get my license...then what?  Jobs don't seem to be very lucrative or abundant right now.  Am I strong enough to overcome these things?


But I am passionate about learning more about skin care.  I have twenty-five years of work experience.  I am motivated.  I miss helping people.  I'm really excited about making good products;  I'm forty years old and ready to change direction in my life.  


One or two years down the line, I see myself as an entrepreneur.  I want to own my own business (Bella Forte), whether it's a partnership or completely on my own.  A day spa, a skin care line, a boutique...


Right now, I really love the idea of a neighborhood boutique that offers workshops and treatments, with a storefront selling products.  Business ownership is a ridiculous amount of work.  But if I am loving it, will I finally be content with my life?  Will I regret not learning to edit video like a pro or pushing myself to upper management in the media field?  Will I wish that I chased the dollar signs with more vigor?



I have absolutely no idea.  But I'll never know if I don't try.  So here goes...
Bookmark and Share


3 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK STEPH!!! I totally know how overwhelming and scary these types of decisions can be. I'm going through some of the same doubts and fears too but I'm deciding to run away to NYC anyway!
    I think you have a great idea and you will be good at it! GO FOR IT!!
    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK STEPH!!! I totally know how overwhelming and scary these types of decisions can be. I'm going through some of the same doubts and fears too but I'm deciding to run away to NYC anyway!
    I think you have a great idea and you will be a good at it! GO FOR IT!!
    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting, I hope you enjoy it, I am a skin care therapist myself and it was the best decision I ever made.

    ReplyDelete